Saturday, April 7, 2012

Good Friday Procession | Plaridel, Bulacan

Every year, during Holy Wednesday and Good Friday, a grand procession of "Karosas" with different Holy statues and figurines defecting Christ's Life is being held in Baliuag, Bulacan. Last year, me and my girlfriend was able to watch the grand procession with almost a 100 plus participating "Karosa". When Lenten season for this year was near approaching, I was mentally preparing myself for this year's grand procession, but for some unexpected reason, I was not able to see the procession in Baliwag. I did not want to let this Lenten season past without seeing one so as an alternative, and knowing that my own town also host such activity, I went to see the procession held in Plaridel, Bulacan.

So last Good Friday, after a late afternoon nap, I took a bath and fixed myself. I readied my stuffs and rode a tricycle to my town's crossing. Reaching the intersection, I thought of just walking from where I am to St. James Parish Church. After about 10mins of walking, I finally reached my destination. There was an activity being held inside the Church but I was not able to really see what was it because their were almost done.

I started taking pictures of what ever I think is good for the eyes. I wandered around inside the Church first and after taking shots of whatever is inside I decided to go out and see the preparations being done.

A child looking at Christ.

The "Karosas" started to pile up in front of the Church. With a specific arrangement to be followed, the "Karosas" are one by one arranged by the owners, much like parking a car. The marshals facilitated the arrangement.


Outside the church.


The "Karosas" piling up.

A man and his devotion.

Taking part of his pain.

When all are already in their proper places, the Priest calls the crowd's attention and the Catechism started. One by one, the "Karosas" moved towards the front of the audience and the Church. A boy, probably a "Sakristan", reads an excerpt from the Bible and gives some explanation on what the current "Karosa" in front is portraying. For some of the "Karosa", the boy also gave a brief biography of the Saint placed in it.


Desmayado.
Nazareno.
He looks over us.

Are we turning our back on Him?
Jesus talking to his Disciple.

Mama Mary.
St. James, Patron Saint of Plaridel.
Veronica's Hankerchief

There were about less than 30 "Karosas" who participated, a lot smaller number than the one being held in Baliwag, but overall, it is not about the number of participants. If we look closely and religiously, it's about reflecting on Christ's sufferings no matter how many "Karosa" we see. The "Karosa", figurines and statues are all man made. All made of material things. Those cannot pave our way to Heaven, it is the faith within us that will.

More photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/markdelrosario/sets/72157629757747731/


No comments:

Post a Comment